Many of you may not even have heard of ice apples. Those who know about the fruit and have tasted it may be reminiscing about its deliciousness. However, have you ever thought of the benefits of ice apples for diabetes? Is it advisable for diabetics to have ice apples? Let's find out in detail.
- What are Ice Apples?
- Ice Apples: Nutritional Profile
- How are Ice Apples Beneficial for Diabetics?
- Ways to Consume Ice Apples for Diabetes
- Which is the Best Time to Eat Ice Apples for Diabetes?
- Risks of Overconsumption of Ice Apples for Diabetes
- What are the Other Health Benefits of Ice Apples?
- Don’t Have Time To Read?
What are Ice Apples?
Ice apple (Borassus flabellifer), also known as Taal, Tadgola, Nungu, or palm fruit, is a hydrating summer fruit. Ice apples are mostly available in the southern states of India and are similar to lychee in terms of consistency. They have a texture and taste that is similar to tender coconut. Ice apples are highly nutritious and hydrating, a perfect fruit for the summers.
Ice Apples: Nutritional Profile
Ice apples are packed with essential nutrients such as calcium and phytonutrients. They also contain protein, fiber, and vitamins C, A, E and K. Ice apples are rich in a range of minerals such as iron, potassium, zinc, and phosphorus.
Further, ice apples are low in calories. They provide only 43 calories and 11 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams. Does this make ice apples good for diabetics? Let’s find out.
How are Ice Apples Beneficial for Diabetics?
Diabetes is a chronic condition that is characterized by high blood sugar levels. In diabetes, your body is unable to produce or utilize the hormone insulin efficiently. Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas and it works by regulating the sugar levels in your blood.
Diabetes is not curable. However, making small changes to your diet can be beneficial in managing diabetes. Let’s take a look at how ice apples can lower your blood sugar levels.
- Ice apples are low in carbohydrates, making them suitable for consumption by diabetes patients. Carbohydrates are nutrients that can cause a considerable rise in your blood sugar levels, and as such are to be restricted by diabetics.
- Ice apples have a good amount of potassium. Low levels of potassium has been linked with high blood sugar levels as reduced potassium further reduces the insulin secretion in your body. When potassium levels are high, the body produces more insulin, lowering your blood sugar levels.
- Ice apples are chock-full of vitamins like A, C, E, K and B7. A sufficient intake of these vitamins are crucial when it comes to living a healthy life with chronic conditions such as diabetes.
Ways to Consume Ice Apples For Diabetes
Consuming ice apples in their natural form is the best way to have them. However, you can also try some delicious recipes listed below.
- Ice Apple Shake: Add 200 ml of milk, 4 to 5 peeled ice apples, a date, one teaspoon of honey or jaggery powder and blend it. This rich and nutritious shake will give you the vital nutrients that you need.
- Ice Apple Custard: Get your regular sugar-free custard mix off the counter. Make the custard at home without any added sweetener. When ready, add some chopped ice apples and strawberries to it and enjoy.
Which is the Best Time to Consume Ice Apples For Diabetes?
To receive the proper nutritional benefits of ice apples for diabetes, it is best to consume them in the morning in their original raw form. You can also pair it with your breakfast smoothie or add it to your cereal. Ice apples have a lot of water content and will keep you full for a long period, thus preventing frequent hunger pangs.
Risks of Overconsumption of Ice Apples For Diabetes
Ice apples do not seem to cause any significant problems if consumed in large quantities. They are known as a summer fruit that is hydrating and rich in essential nutrients. However, overripe ice apples may cause stomach aches, so you should be careful while choosing ice apples.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Ice Apples?
- Ice Apples are extremely cooling and keep your body hydrated, especially during the summers.
- As they are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, ice apples can boost your immune system and help you maintain good health.
- Ice apples can improve your digestion and prevent problems such as constipation, acidity, and stomach ulcers.
- Ice apples are rich in phytochemicals that possess strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it helps prevent cell damage, delays aging, and reduces the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- They are also beneficial in weight loss. Ice apples are rich in water, and keep you full for long periods. Thus, eating ice apples prevents frequent snacking, reduces your calorie intake, and helps you keep your body weight in check.
- Applying ice apple paste to your skin helps relieve skin rashes and irritation that are common during the summers.
- Ice apples are rich in potassium, which helps protect your liver from damage. It also helps in flushing the toxins out of the system, promoting your liver health.